[Autochtones-cop21] Historic Kayak Action demands Indigenous Peoples Rights in Paris Climate Accord

Silvanu silvanu at samizdat.net
Lun 7 Déc 14:21:21 CET 2015

  Historic Kayak Action demands Indigenous Peoples Rights in Paris
  Climate Accord
  <http://indigenousrising.org/historic-kayak-action-demands-indigenous-peoples-rights-in-paris-climate-accord/>

Posted on Dec 6, 2015
<http://indigenousrising.org/historic-kayak-action-demands-indigenous-peoples-rights-in-paris-climate-accord/>
by Ayse Gursoz <http://indigenousrising.org/author/ayse/>

*For Immediate Release:*

*December 6th, 2015*

*Contact: *Dallas Goldtooth, Indigenous Environmental Network, France:
+33 75 1413 823, US: + 708 515-6158, dallas at ienearth.org
<mailto:dallas at ienearth.org>

*Historic Kayak Action demands Indigenous Peoples Rights in Paris
Climate Accord *

IENCOP21-20

*Paris --*  An all-Indigenous flotilla of kayaks took to the waters of
Paris today, followed by a press conference featuring Indigenous leaders
from the Americas delivering strong messages: warnings of the worst
consequences of climate change, and holistic solutions to protect Mother
Earth. This event, proposed by the Kichwa community of the Sarayaku,
served as a platform to reject false climate solutions, and to deliver
three key documents designed as a means to address climate change.

The flotilla action this afternoon was made all the more poignant and
necessary, following the first week of negotiations at COP21, where --
despite vocal objections and protestations by Indigenous Peoples and
their allies -- the operative text of the Paris Accord has had the
language concerning the rights of Indigenous Peoples "annexed" (meaning
it's not totally in the draft agreement, nor is it being fully
excluded), rendering it's future inclusion questionable.

*"Considering that Indigenous communities often face the worst
consequences of climate change, the decision to reject Indigenous Rights
and advocate for false solutions is not only offensive and intolerable,
but illogical and destructive to the climate change movement as a
whole." -- Dallas Goldtooth, Keep Fossil Fuels in the Ground Campaign
Organizer. "Carbon trading and REDD+ projects are schemes to continue
business-as-usual, nothing more. We, as frontline Indigenous
communities, are the arbiters and innovators of real solutions towards
mitigating climate change." *

Indigenous Peoples from the Amazon to the Arctic and their allies have
and will continue to gather to demand real climate solutions, including
bottom-up initiatives originating in Indigenous knowledge, culture, and
spirituality.

*"We're here to present our proposal of kawsak-sacha: the living
rainforest, the living Amazon. This proposal respects all living beings
and helps achieve a balance of our planet, our Mother Earth. Indigenous
peoples live with this wisdom -- live in harmony with these living
beings, and we're here to protect the lagoons and the water, the trees
and the mountains. We ARE the balance, we LIVE the balance and this is
our contribution here in Paris."  Felix Santi, Sarayaku*

*"Only if our proposal is heeded will we be able to ensure the future,
ensure the planet for future generations -- so we present this proposal
to the governments of the world and we declare indigenous peoples'
territories of vital and crucial importance to the future of our planet.
There must be no more oil drilling, no more mining, no more logging on
our lands and territories, and we must embrace this indigenous proposal
of the living forest".*

For the second week of negotiations in Paris, Indigenous delegates are
calling on their allies to push the parties involved in direct
negotiations to reverse this damaging decision, thereby taking the
climate change movement forwards, not backwards.

*"The ground we walk on is literally melting beneath us. Indigenous
peoples of the world are being affected by this climate chaos first, and
our issues are compounded by the assault on our traditional territories
by the fossil fuel extractive industries." -- Faith Gemmill, executive
director REDOIL. "We kicked Shell out of the Arctic but immediately
following that, the state and our congressional representatives called
for drilling in the last 5% of America's only Arctic coast: the Arctic
National Wildlife Refuge, which is sacred to my people. This is our
home, these are our sacred places, and it is our belief that the
destruction of humanity begins if/when the oil companies gain access to
these sacred places. We're here to call upon the governments of the
world to recognise the rights of Indigenous Peoples within the
operative, legally binding text. No more business as usual -- we don't
have the luxury of time. Humanity's survival is on the line.  We need a
just transition to sustainable energy, economies and communities." *

*Pictures :*
http://indigenousrising.org/historic-kayak-action-demands-indigenous-peoples-rights-in-paris-climate-accord/

www.indigenousrising.org <http://www.indigenousrising.org>