[Autochtones-cop21] Fwd: [New post] COP21 Will Not Save our Lands and Territories

Silvanu silvanu at samizdat.net
Mar 8 Déc 12:07:24 CET 2015

-------- Message original --------
Sujet: 	[New post] COP21 Will Not Save our Lands and Territories
Date : 	Tue, 8 Dec 2015 01:16:22 +0000
De : 	Indigenous Rising <donotreply at wordpress.com>
Pour : 	silvanu at samizdat.net

WordPress.com
Dallas Goldtooth posted: "COP21 Will Not Save our Lands and Territories
by Andrea Landry The twenty-first session of the global climate
conference is currently underway in Paris, France. The mandate is for
world leaders, primarily colonial leaders, to establish a new global
model "

    New post on *Indigenous Rising*

<http://indigenousrising.org/?author=2>

    COP21 Will Not Save our Lands and Territories
    <http://indigenousrising.org/cop21-will-not-save-our-lands-and-territories/>

by Dallas Goldtooth <http://indigenousrising.org/?author=2>

    COP21 Will Not Save our Lands and Territories
    by Andrea Landry

The twenty-first session of the global climate conference is currently
underway in Paris, France. The mandate is for world leaders, primarily
colonial leaders, to establish a new global model of growth which will
be safe and durable to the planet. Parties to the convention and kyoto
protocol, observer states, intergovernmental organizations, UN and
specialized agencies, non-governmental organizations, and ad-hoc working
groups are the mandatory participants integrated in the process.
Indigenous peoples are the key experts in the realm of land preservation
and territorial protection, yet it had to be noted through the UNDP on
the importance of Indigenous peoples participating in COP21. It was
through documentation and processes such as this where the voice of
Indigenous peoples was incorporated onto the UN tables for COP21.

#Canoes2Paris action on the Bassion la Villette canal in Paris
<http://indigenousrising.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/IENCOP21-20-e1449427440278.jpg>

#Canoes2Paris action on the Bassion la Villette canal in Paris

The representatives of our people that are in attendance are doing the
best they can with the space they are given at this globally significant
conference. With Indigenous voices advocating for Indigenous homelands
in a colonial based setting there comes a situation when one may begin
to question if the conversation on the tables of the white-man will
establish solutions on the lands of our peoples.

And the direct answer to this is a blunt, yet honest, no. The truth is
that UN conferences have never created progressive or real spaces for
our home fires- they were never intended to create progressive or real
spaces for our home fires.

The spaces that the UN creates for our peoples are spaces that the
Canadian government creates for AFN national chiefs and Indian Act
chiefs across the nations - a colonially fabricated position void of any
real long-term outcomes for the people and filled with outcomes meant to
further impoverish us.

These conferences. similarly, are intended to create a false sense of
hope for the people whereas we believe that all the outcomes we desire
will occur - yet the reality is that the only outcomes we will see is
our words imprisoned on documents for decades, as we continue to praise
a system that shows no commitment or action for the voices of those who
completed the same work generations ago.

Yet we ask the same things from UN bodies, UN states, intergovernmental
organizations, sometimes NGOs and very rarely our own communities for
change- and 20 years later we are asking for the same things from the
same UN bodies, UN states, intergovernmental organizations, sometimes
NGOs, and very rarely our own communities.

Political systems like the UN create an atmosphere whereas individuals
are attempting to find routes for their people to survive- yet they’re
attempting to survive in a system which only creates more poverty and
crisis. The key crisis that COP21 will never dissolve is the corruption
and greed that is expanding and growing in our own homelands as quickly
as cancer cells are expanding and growing in our people’s
bodies.andrealandry2

If we want to make a substantial impact in the realm of climate justice-
our own leaders need to completely and utterly disagree with land
desecration projects which will ultimately lead to the lands, and our
own, demise. If we claim to be land-based people, as Indigenous peoples,
why do we continuously follow man-made systems rather than the
land-based laws? What is unfolding as we attend and believe in the
“power” of UN conferences is that our organic systems are now completely
overtaken by man-made systems. We are no longer believing that the land,
and our relationship to the land, will be the ultimate solution to
ending the land-based genocide. And this comes from the notion that we
have falsely adapted to a way of life for survival so deeply that we
have forgotten who we were prior to that adaptation. We have forgotten
the idea of community and focus instead on the standardized concept of
how an assimilated person operates in an Indigenous community.

COP21, a space created only for colonial entities with secondary space
set aside for Indigenous peoples, is a dominant centre for networking,
building relationships with other organizations passionate about the
work that one does, understanding the structure of UN meetings, and a
chance to show the often hidden face of the Indigenous revolutionary.
Yet, as UN systems continue to maintain the privilege that colonial
systems have established, the belief that human life is more important
than the life of the land will begin to be believed by our own people.

Breathing_Lands_06The land will revolutionize long before our people do
if we continue maintaining a colonially justified system which is hiding
the fact that it is responsible in part for preserving poverty and the
starvation of peoples globally. The land will revolutionize and will
never allow the rape of hills, valleys, and prairies to be an acceptable
form of a land-based practice. The land will revolutionize to the extent
that the UN systems and UN conferences will be an irrelevant means to
liberate the peoples and the territories.

The land will revolutionize only if the people do not revolutionize
first. The transformation of how we protect the lands and territories in
which we live, play, and love on will only be influential if we
recognize where the change has to come from in order to end land
desecration projects and environmental violence. It will come from the
primary keepers of the land through means of finding community solutions
to end the greed, the corruption, and the colonial thinking. It will
come from land-based practices being the only way we can have a
relationship with the land. It will come from listening to the words the
old people speak, and never again neglecting our true roles, never again
breaking the sanctity and prayers that generations before spoke. We must
be true to the prayers of those before us, and again not look to
colonial meetings for Indigenous solutions.

We are the solution.

----

*Andrea Landry* has her Masters in Communications and Social Justice at
the University of Windsor. She has previously sat on the United Nations
Global Indigenous Youth Caucus for the United Nations Permanent Forum on
Indigenous Issues and been involved in UN politics for a span of four
years. She formerly worked as the Governance Development Officer for her
home community of Pays Plat First Nation. She currently works on
Thunderchild First Nation as a youth therapist and teaches at the
University of Saskatchewan in the areas of Indigenous Studies and
Political Science. She also practices community-based solution building
through working with communities one on one in the areas of grief and
recovery, community crisis, and with young people building
self-empowerment and self-esteem.

*Dallas Goldtooth <http://indigenousrising.org/?author=2>* | December 8,
2015 at 1:16 am | Tags: andrea landry
<http://indigenousrising.org/?taxonomy=post_tag&term=andrea-landry>,
cop21 <http://indigenousrising.org/?taxonomy=post_tag&term=cop21>, will
not save
<http://indigenousrising.org/?taxonomy=post_tag&term=will-not-save> |
Categories: Blogs
<http://indigenousrising.org/?taxonomy=category&term=blogs> | URL:
http://wp.me/p53nUw-jm

Unsubscribe
<https://subscribe.wordpress.com/?key=49fc3775e1e2db8bbe9ad8edd947d2ad&email=silvanu%40samizdat.net&b=LseONDL%7EIFDc2kXn3djy88ktHWhl2%7CQ-BOW%2C%26%7CEi%26%2FlET3GvJP_>
to no longer receive posts from Indigenous Rising.